Friday, July 6, 2007

Independence Day in "the Uttermost"

written on July 4

Only once in the past three years have I been in the USA for the Fourth of July. I miss it, yet, let nothing stand between me and the Christ I follow. Celebrating Independence Day abroad is just part of being a missionary. Part of taking the Gospel to the uttermost. Can I say I do not have a desire to spend this day with my family in the beautiful countryside of my beloved homeland? To deny that would be to deny that I have natural human desires and loves. Yet, I find my fulfilling joy, my ultimate delight, the end of my pleasure only in my Christ! "Rejoice in the LORD!" May it be first and foremost in my own heart that I am a citizen of heaven and a stranger and an alien on this earth. Yes, I love the USA and I'm proud to be an American, but far stronger is the driving force in my heart of my heavenly citizenship.

No comments: