Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Strangers in an Unworthy World

So what does it mean to be a stranger on this earth? What does it mean for this world not to be worthy of those heroes of faith from Hebrews 11? What does it mean to forsake all for Christ? I do not think I even know. I am a very rich man in this world-- compared to most; compared to Christ. So how can I know what it means to follow Christ, when, according to worldly "goods", I live so far above the level at which Christ Himself lived on this earth? How tightly am I holding on to the things of this world? With an open hand, but will my fingers spring shut if God begins to remove something precious from my hand?

Sunday night at church we watched "Flame in the Wind." I don't know how many times I've seen it, but this summer, my heart has been moved, rebuked, blessed everytime I watch those men face the Inquisition, suffer, stand, and die for Something they held more precious than anything in this world. They faced the flames with no fear, no grasping of anything or anyone in this world, only clinging tightly to Jesus Christ. To them, the world was not worthy of their lives. The world was death. Christ was life. And Christ alone was worthy of their affections and their life! So that's what it means-- "of whom the world was not worthy."

No comments: